Best of libertarian news & opinion
It's too bad that it gets harder and harder to build awesome stuff in the USA due to excessive regulations. It took a little over a year to build the Empire State Building in 1930. Now it takes several years to build a tower. Case in point, the new World Trade Center. Read this story:It took 410 days to build the Empire State Building; four years to erect the Golden Gate Bridge. The Pentagon took two years;… Read the rest
- Higher Business & Property Tax
- Higher Minimum Wage
- Higher commercial rent
- Higher real estate price
Seriously? You cannot even make fun of rednecks? What is this world coming to? PHOENIX -- When members of the student council at an Arizona high school organized a schoolwide "Redneck Day" and encouraged classmates to dress — and spoof — accordingly, they hoped to build school spirit leading up to prom week. Instead, "Redneck Day" at Queen Creek High School has angered African-Americans and civil-rights leaders and touched off a debate about free speech, social stereotypes and good taste.… Read the rest
1. Tough Interrogation Tactics Can Lead To False Confessions
2. Polygraph Tests Can Be Used As Evidence, Even Though There's No Proof Of Their Accuracy
Hawks depicted the cuts that Defense Secretary Robert Gates recently proposed for the Pentagon’s weapons programs as a savage assault on the military industrial complex. They insisted that Secretary Gates would leave us prostrate before future rivals. Counterinsurgency enthusiasts, meanwhile cheered Mr. Gates’s willingness to swap high-tech platforms for capabilities suited to the unconventional conflicts we are fighting. The truth is that the Gates proposal is both too cautious and inadequate. After all, Gates isn’t cutting non-war-related military spending; he’s… Read the rest
1) Three workers find themselves locked up, and they ask each other what they’re in for. The first man says: “I was always ten minutes late to work, so I was accused of sabotage.” The second man says: “I was always ten minutes early to work, so I was accused of espionage.” The third man says: “I always got to work on time, so I was accused of having a Western watch.” And here are the nine runners-up: 2) An… Read the rest
- The current income tax was started in 1913.
- What is taller than a giraffe and weighs 145 lbs? The Tax Code (72,536 pages)
- Regression analysis predicts by 2050 the tax code will be around 140,000 pages.
- The Tax Code has 5 times as many words as the bible.
- Compliance costs are estimated between 300-500 billion dollars/year.
- To help pay for the
$19.99 @ the bontheball t-shirt shop
Shirt Details: This t-shirt is so comfortable you will feel damn near naked at work. Anvil 100% pre-shrunk cotton fitted t-shirt. Medium-lightweight fabric is very soft and a great value. Sizes: SM-3XL Get it: http://skreened.com/bontheball/work-harder-millions-on-welfare-depend-on-you
In an eye-opening six-month investigation into America’s disability program, Planet Money reporter Chana Joffe-Walt uncovered a “disability industrial complex” fraught with fraud that churns out 14 million checks every month to citizens the government has deemed disabled. “Since the… Read the rest