First off, it was not even a Civil War. A Civil War is when two or more nations fight to control them all. During the “War Between The States” (which I call the War of Northern Aggression), there was one side fighting to keep the other side from leaving. The name itself is an oxymoron. civil – definition of civil by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. Ok, since we got through that I can go on with my rant.
Civil War reactors are seen all the time in movies and shows. I am now in Gettysburg, PA, where I am assuming a large chunk of the local economy comes from tourists visiting the battlefield. I just don’t understand it. It should be a black eye on Americans. It was ignorant, stupid, and almost a million brothers (Americans) died. Why is it so celebrated and why do we adore the leaders that fought in it?
MR. RUSSERT: I was intrigued by your comments about Abe Lincoln. “According to Paul, Abe Lincoln should never have gone to war; there were better ways of getting rid of slavery.”
REP. PAUL: Absolutely. Six hundred thousand Americans died in a senseless civil war. No, he shouldn’t have gone, gone to war. He did this just to enhance and get rid of the original intent of the republic. I mean, it was the — that iron, iron fist. Ron Paul and the Economics of Slavery by Bob Murphy
Inconvenient truths of the civil war (war between the states):
- Approximately 625,000 men died in the Civil War, more Americans than in World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War combined.10 Surprising Civil War Facts I’m not saying that killing is right (it’s not), but killing your own brother, neighbor, countryman, or what ever is even more wrong.
- The war was about slavery you say. The truth is that both New Jersey and Maryland (and others) had slaves during the war. Slavery in the North So using basic logic, why did the north fight to end slavery when they had slaves? Nevertheless, when compared to the south, the north had a very small slave population.
- Lincoln didn’t not free the slaves. The Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in the south. This was rubbish at the time since the south wasn’t apart of U.S. “When issued it did not immediately free a single slave. This is because its application was limited to those parts of North America which were still under the control of the armed forces of the Confederate States of America. It did not apply to those Slave States, such as Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland and Missouri which had not seceded from the Union, nor did it apply to those parts of the Confederate States of America (such parts of Virginia (which was later admitted to the Union as West Virginia) and Florida) which had been occupied by and remained under the control of US forces at that date.” What was Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation
- The truth is Lincoln was racist (pretty much every president was until Eisenhower). Also, when I say racist I mean the true meaning, which is the belief that one race is inferior to another. Lincoln wanted to send all the slaves back to Africa. 10 Surprising Civil War Facts Yes Socialists, FDR, Wilson, & Truman were racist as hell. Google it fo sho.
- Slavery was ended by the House of Representatives on January 31, 1865 by the passing of the 13th Amendment. You see we don’t live in a monarchy. We live in a republic. The president cannot rewrite the constitution. The funny thing is that two northern states (New Jersey and Delaware) initially rejected the amendment. Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Union General Ulysses S. Grant owned slaves. Facts About Ulysses S. Grant
- Union General Sherman also owned slaves. Confederate History – Dispelling The Myths also Remembering Robert E. Lee
- Confederate General Robert E. Lee opposed slavery (I’ve read he inherited slaves):
In 1856 he made this statement: “There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil.”
During the Civil War, Union commanders pillaged the South, abusing civilians in unspeakable ways, destroying railroads and factories, and burning private homes, public buildings, schools and libraries. Union forces also slaughtered livestock and decimated crops, after they took what they wanted.
Periodic reports detailing their carnage were sent to General Halleck in Washington who shared them with President Lincoln. In a typical report issued on September 17, 1863, Union General Sherman added this comment; “We will remove every obstacle-if need be, take every life, every acre of land, every particle of property, everything that to us seems proper.” Halleck showed this report to Lincoln, who enjoyed it so much that he demanded that it be published. Remembering Robert E. Lee
- Confederate President Jefferson Davis vetoed the Confederate Slave Trade Act. Jefferson Davis Vetoes Slave Trade Act
- African Americans also fought for the confederacy. 100 gather to honor black Confederate soldier – The Civil War: 150 Years Later – TheState.com
- Atlanta is the only city in North America that was destroyed by fire as an act of war. Atlanta Trivia Facts and Folklore Can you imagine the U.S. burning down Baghdad? If we did this today there would be riots in the street.
- Some Southern politicians did say that their society was based on white supremacy, but so did Abraham Lincoln and most other Northern politicians. “I as much as any man want the superior position to belong to the white race,” Lincoln said in a debate with Stephen Douglas in 1858. The Official, Politically-Correct Cause of the ‘Civil War’ by Thomas DiLorenzo
These facts (or interesting findings) are not intended to show that the south was right and the north was evil. It is to show you that both sides were retarded. It is easy to send people off to die when you do not have to die with them. History is written by the victor. You have to use your prefrontal cortex to understand it.
The above video is from the movie Gangs of New York. It depicts the “Civil War’ draft riots that happened in New York.
More importantly, secession in no way necessitates war, regardless of what the reasons for secession are. The reasons for secession, and the reasons why there was a war, are two entirely separate issues. When New Englanders openly and publicly plotted to secede for fourteen years after Thomas Jefferson’s election, culminating in the 1814 secession convention in Hartford, Connecticut, neither President Jefferson nor President Madison (or anyone else) said one word about the appropriate response to a Northern-state secession being “invasion,” “force,” and “bloodshed.” These are the words Lincoln used in his first inaugural address to describe what would happen in any Southern state that seceded.
It is unlikely that anyone even dreamed of invading Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island and bombing and burning Boston, Hartford and Providence into a smoldering ruin while murdering thousands of New Englanders, women and children included, if New England were to secede. Indeed, when Jefferson was asked what would happen if New England seceded, he said in a letter that New Englanders, like all other Americans “would all be our children” and he would wish them all well. More recently, all of the Soviet republics, and all of Eastern and Central Europe peacefully seceded from the Soviet Union. Secession does not necessitate war. The Official, Politically-Correct Cause of the ‘Civil War’ by Thomas DiLorenzo
The myth that is perpetuated by history books does not make logical sense. Seriously, why would millions of people fight to free people they do not know? Also, why would the 95% of southerners that didn’t own slaves fight to keep them. People fight because they are manipulated by governments or they are forced. They also fight to protect their lives and homes. The premises indoctrinated to us in our public school system do not pass the sniff test. It smells more like a rotten egg fart.
Recommend readings and where I got most of this: